Exhumed is an American death metal band from San Jose, California, most recently signed to Relapse Records. They were formed in 1990, when founding and sole-remaining member Matt Harvey was 15 years old. Exhumed spent much of the ensuing decade releasing numerous demos, split CDs, and EPs. The band finally recorded their debut album Gore Metal in 1998. The album crystallized the old-school death metal meets full-on grindcore sound forged during the recordings of their last demo and first split CD (“Horrific Expulsion of Gore” and “In the Name of Gore”).
This led to the band’s first US tour and festival appearances (their only previous out of California shows had been 9 dates in central Europe in 1997 supporting “In the Name of Gore”). The band continued to change line-ups with the release of the back-to-basics sophomore record “Slaughtercult” in 2001. The album was a blatant blend of the band’s influences. This album allowed the band to do three US tours, and their first proper European tour, including co-headlining festivals like Fuck the Commerce and Obscene Extreme. The band also appeared at the Wacken Open Air festival.
The band evolved further with their third album, 2003’s “Anatomy is Destiny” which added more sophisticated arrangements, production and instrumentation into the Gore Metal formula. Bassist Leon del Muerte replaced Bud Burke soon after the album was recorded.
After the departure of the band’s co-founder, drummer Col Jones, the band issued a massive 2CD compilation of their early recordings, appropriately dubbed “Platters of Splatter”.
After touring all over America, Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia and even Iceland, the band realigned its personnel yet again, resulting in the departure of long-time guitarist Mike Beams and the recruitment of new six-stringer Wes Caley and drummer Matt Connell. The “new and improved” Exhumed has completed recording an album of cover songs entitled “Garbage Daze Re-Regurgitated”.
The band filmed a DVDs worth of material and then went on hiatus afterwords in 2005.
In 2010 the band reunited to start work on a new album. The line up is Matt Harvey on guitars and vocals, Leon del Muerte on bass and vocals, Wes Caley on guitar and Danny Walker on drums.
- Full-length albums
- Gore Metal, 1998
- Slaughtercult, 2000
- Slaughtercult (special edition sawblade-shaped CD w/ 1 bonus track) 2001
- Anatomy Is Destiny, 2003
- Platters of Splatter (double album), 2004
- Garbage Daze Re-Regurgitated (cover album), 2005
- All Guts, No Glory, 2011
- 7″s, EPs and splits
- Excreting Innards (7″), 1992
- Untitled split cassette w/ Haemorrhage, 1995
- In the Name of Gore (split CD w/ Hemdale), 1996
- Blood And Alcohol (split 7″ w/ Pale Existence), 1996
- Chords of Chaos (4-way split w/ Ear Bleeding Disorder, Necrose, and Excreted Alive), 1997
- Instruments of Hell (split 7″ w/ No Comply), 1997
- Indignities to the Dead (split 7″ w/ Pantalones Abajo Mereneros), 1997
- Totally Fucking Dead (split 7″ w/ Nyctophobic), 1998
- Tales of the Exhumed (split 7″ w/ Retaliation), 1998
- Untitled split 7″ with Sanity’s Dawn, 2000
- Untitled split 7″ with Gadget, 2001
- Deceased in the East/Extirpated Live Emanations (live split 10″ w/ Aborted), 2003
- Something Sickened This Way Comes / To Clone and to Enforce (split 7″ & 3″ CD w/ Ingrowing), 2006
- Dissecting the Caseated Omentum (Demo cassette), 1992
- Goregasm (Demo cassette), 1992
- Untitled (Demo cassette), 1992
- Untitled Promo cassette, 1993
- Grotesque Putrefied Brains (Demo cassette), 1993
- Horrific Expulsion of Gore (Demo cassette), 1994